Types of Pump used in Industry are based on the requirement of lifting a particular liquid. Centrifugal Pump and Reciprocating Pump are used according to its functions like types of liquid to be lifted, the viscosity of liquids, manometric head, require pressure head at the outlet, etc....
Here is the comparison between Centrifugal Pump and Reciprocating Pump
Centrifugal Pump Vs Reciprocating Pump
- The discharge is continuous and smooth
- It can handle a large quantity of liquid.
- It can be used for lifting highly viscous liquids.
- It is used for large discharge through smaller heads.
- The cost of a centrifugal pump is less as compared to the reciprocating pump.
- Centrifugal pump runs at high speed. They can be coupled to an electric motor.
- The operation of a centrifugal pump is smooth and without much noise. The maintenance cost is low.
- Centrifugal pump needs smaller floor area and installation cost is low.
- Efficiency is high.
- It uses an impeller for transferring energy to fluid and increases fluid pressure.
- In a centrifugal pump, priming is required. Without the priming water or liquid can not be transmitted.
- Centrifugal pump is non-postive displacement type pump.
- It used where higher discharge available at a low head.
- The discharge is fluctuating and pulsating.
- It handles a small quantity of liquid only.
- It is used only for lifting pure water or less viscous liquids.
- It is meant for small discharge and high heads.
- The cost of a reciprocating pump is approximately four times the cost of a centrifugal pump.
- Reciprocating pump runs at low speed. Speed is limited due to the consideration of separation and cavitation.
- The operation of a reciprocating pump is complicated and with much noise. The maintenance cost is high.
- The reciprocating pump requires a large floor area and installation cost is high.
- Efficiency is low.
- It uses a piston and cylinder which causes partial pressure on the fluid, and owing to fluid is sucked from the sump.
- Priming is not required in a reciprocating pump.
- The reciprocating pump is a positive displacement type pump.
- It used where lower discharge available at the high head.